Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Angry Roddick Loses; Querrey Hits Opponent in Gnads at US Open

by Staff
Andy Roddick, still apparently suffering the energy-draining after-effects of mono, in addition to a bout of foot faulting, crashed out of the US Open in the feature match on Wednesday night, losing to tattooed, sunglasses-at-night-wearing Serb Janko “Tipsy” Tipsarevic 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, 7-6(4).

“I was trying [early] too much from positions on the court I should have been playing,” said Tipsarevic, who has been struggling with ankle injuries this summer. “I was out for three weeks so apparently I taped them too strong, but at the end everything worked well.”
Roddick frequently fought with linespeople and the chair umpire over foot fault calls during the match, and quickly left the court following his loss, tossing racquets into the crowd as he walked to the tunnel.
In other Top 10-seeded play, No. 4 Andy Murray breezed past Slovak Lukas Lacko in straights, and French veteran Michael Llodra serve-and-volleyed No. 7 seed Tomas Berdych onto the sidelines 7-6(3), 6-4, 6-4.
“It wasn’t necessarily the best tennis, but tricky conditions out there,” Murray said. “It was very windy on the court. It was a guy I’ve never played against on the tour. I haven’t really seen much of him play, so took a little time to get used to his game. But I did enough to win in straight sets, and that was the most important thing.”
American qualifier Ryan Harrison had the ‘Where’s the next great American?’ critics’ tongues wagging after a four-set win over No. 15 seed Ivan Ljubicic.
“To win on this stage here and to take out a Top 20 player in the world is the biggest win of my career,” Harrison said. “I’ve always believed in myself. I have always had confidence in myself, so obviously I’m extremely excited and really pleased with what happened…Absolutely I want to be that guy [the next American star]. I have a ways to go. I’ve qualified and still have a ways to go to get there, but I’m definitely working has hard as I can. I’m really putting all the work in.”
Harrison also struggled to keep his temper in check at times during the match, on occasion letting the racquet fly.
“I usually do show a lot of emotion,” Harrison said. “I can usually get pretty fired up…You don’t want to get extremely fired-up early and start getting to a point where you’re stressing yourself out and burn off nervous energy that you don’t need to burn off. So at that point, I just tried to, you know, pick the right moments.”
The American “B”-squad seeds were also successful Wednesday, as No. 18 John Isner defeated Federico Gil in straights, and No. 20 Sam Querrey quelled a challenge from fellow American Bradley Klahn in four sets.
Querrey tattooed Klahn in the gnads during their match for good measure.
“That was an accident,” Querrey said. “I mean, he hit a dropshot, and I ran up there and it was kind of better than I thought. So I kind of got a little confused where I was going to hit it. I kind of went at him. I didn’t mean to hit it there. I felt bad because he’s my buddy.”
Querrey will next play Spain’s Marcel “Granola” Granollers. Harrison will next face the Ukraine’s Sergiy Stakhovsky, the champion last week at New Haven, who came from a set down to defeat Aussie Peter Luczak on Wednesday.
Matches to watch for on Thursday include (2) Roger Federer vs. German Andreas Beck, another German in Philipp Petzschner vs. (3) Novak Djokovic, Uruguay’s Pablo Cuevas vs. (19) Mardy Fish, Canadian Peter Polansky vs. slumping American James Blake, (6) Nikolay Davydenko vs. Richard “The Cocaine Kisser” Gasquet, (5) Robin Soderling vs. American Taylor Dent, (13) Jurgen “Tuna” Melzer vs. former junior world No. 1 Ricardas Berankis, Japan No. 1 Kei Nishikori vs. (11) Marin Cilic, and South African Kevin “Mr.” Anderson vs. (26) Thomaz Bellucci.

No comments:

Post a Comment